Friday, November 9, 2007

Hippy Hell


THIS IS A CAUTIONARY TALE ABOUT CHANGING CHEFS

FIRST THING: I've been eating at this joint for several years now. If I had written this review 2 months ago, I would have given Magnolia 4 stars (how quickly things can change.)

THE GOOD: The beer is very tasty and the atmosphere is warm and groovy.

THE BAD: The food here used to be just OK a few years back... then it got super tasty in the last year... now they have a new "chef" and the food was literally inedible. The house cut fries (that were always some of the best in town) were totally soggy... COME ON DUDES... SOGGY FRIES... EEWWW.

The meal went downhill from there. I got a salad with dandelion green, French beans and sausage. The thing was very very bitter and over-powering in spice. It was crying out for some creaminess or some sweetness to balance the bitterness. For my main course I tried the gnocci with brown butter and summer veggies. This thing was a total disaster. The whole thing was pan incinerated to the point it was blackened. The result was the driest pasta I've ever been served in my life (and my mom makes some really nasty pasta).

Lastly, when I told the waitress that I couldn't (or wouldn't) eat the gnocci, she happily took it away. But, when the check came I was charged for it! She said that I ordered it, there for I pay, period. After an argument, she relented and took it off the bill.

The Haight is sadly in shortage of good dinning options, and to have even one go south really hurts. If a manager or the owners read this, please take action with your new chef, your food, and customers, (and soon bottomline) are suffering.

*

Magnolia Pub & Brewery
1398 Haight Street
(between Central Ave & Masonic Ave)
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415) 864-7468
Website

No comments: